Honors Orientation: Strengths & Gifts

Last week I had to take a spiritual gifts inventory and my top three spiritual gifts were: leadership, music, and administration. I also had to take a StrengthsQuest test last week and my top five strengths were: includer, responsibility, achiever, belief, and developer. I think that my gifts and strengths work very well together because they build off of each other.

My strengths are most compatible with leadership. With leadership comes a lot of responsibility. You have to be an example to others, meet deadlines, and prove yourself to be a trustworthy person. You also have to achieve high goals and work very hard. In being a leader you also have to make sure that nobody is left out. Nobody deserves to be left out and being a leader people expects you to be the first to welcome a new person in. You also have to be able to see the potential in others and help them to grow, which is what a developer does. Belief is also a huge thing in leadership. You must be able to stand up for your beliefs and know what you believe. People are looking up to you and if you waver then they might fall as well.

Administration and my strengths are also compatible. An administrative person is very responsible. They must meet deadlines, make sure that things are organized, and are trusted to make sure everything is in order. Achievers also are quite administrative. Achievers have a plan for how things are going to get done and so do administrators.

Being a student leader in youth group I used a lot of my strengths in my leadership. I made sure that I would go up to new students to make sure that they were included. I remember when I first started going to youth group and how intimidating it was so I made it a point to make sure people would not feel like I did and ended up changing some peoples lives. Along with that I saw people who were struggling with different issues and helped them along with it. I saw the potential that they had and would not give up on them. I also set examples for my peers. At the end of my freshman year English class we wrote down positive things about our fellow students and our teacher complied them together into mantras. One of the things said on mine was “it is nice to see people stick to what they believe in, that’s a rarity these days.” I have always kept to my beliefs and set an example to those around me no matter what. It has set an example to people in my youth group as well.

My senior year of high school I interned with my youth pastor. I did a lot of administrative tasks and used my responsibility and achiever strengths. I made sure that I got things done on time and that I did my best. These two strengths helped me to do the best that I could do.

My strengths and gifts are very compatible but what does this really mean for me? For the last few years I have felt the call into youth ministry. Looking at these strengths and gifts it all points to things that would help in youth ministry. I know whatever it is that God has called me to do He will use my strengths to help me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment